Visiting Card of the Settlement
Coat of arms of Ilskiy
Flag of Ilskiy
Widely spread over the banks of the IL river, Ilskiy urban settlement is considered the founding father of all settlements in the Severskiy District. It was founded in 1863, much earlier than any other settlement or village. On 16 June 1863, following the Order of the Commander-in-Chief of Caucasian Army, the joint squadron of Seversk Dragoon Regiment started to erect the stanitsa (Cossack settlement).
The first settlers came here on June 27, 1863. So this date is considered the founding day of Ilskiy urban settlement.
Cossacks who founded the stanitsa were coming mostly of their own free will: the government promised the settlers to provide numerous benefits, monetary compensation for the property left behind, and, above all, hereditary property land rights.
Half of Cossack families (113 families) came from the Kuban Region of former Black Sea Army. They brought their cultural, domestic and building traditions. That is why bleached huts with reed roofs, shutters and nearby gardens became the most common architectural features here.
In 1886, the first wooden school was erected, and the first typically planned school building appeared here in 1876. In 1896, the first ministerial Cossack school was built on the intersection of Pobedy and Sovetskaya streets.
Stanitsa Ilskaya became a part of the Abinsk Cossack mounted regiment headquartered in stanitsa Khablskaya (Kholmskaya).
In the middle of 1924, the administrative and territorial zoning was changed and districts were established instead of volosts. Thus, the Severskiy District was formed on June 2, with Ilskaya stanitsa being part of it.
The Second World War (1939-1945) left its mark in the history of Ilskaya. From August 1942 to February 18, 1943, the settlement was occupied by the German troops. More than 150 Soviet soldiers perished defending Ilskaya, and they were buried in two common graves.
In the Ilsko-Kholmsky District, 10 oil-production sites were allocated: five in August 1913, and another five in October 1917. In February 1943, the Soviet Government ordered to urgently reactivate oil production on the left bank on the Kuban River. To do that, the evacuated machinery was brought back and the pipes left by the Germans were used. The volumes of produced oil grew which meant fine prospects for oil production in the Ilsko-Kholmsky District. In January and March 1944, Krasnodarneft association established Krasnodarneftestroy trust in Ilskaya.
In November 1954, Ilskaya oil production site was joined with Adagumskyi site. In 1957, it became a part of Kalyzsko-Krymskyi oilfield. In the end of 1957, the Krasnodar Enlarged Oilfield was formed in Ilskaya.
Another big oil company was Chernomorneft formed on the basis of Zubza and Kipyachaya oilfields. In 1948, Chernomorneft took a leading position among the companies of the Krasnodarneft association. In 1949, Chernomorneft increased its performance by 10 times as regards 1947.
Basing on these achievements and other factors, the communist organizations recommended Ilskiy Council to apply to Presidium of Supreme Council of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic for transformation of Ilskaya from stanitsa into the workers’ settlement. Under the Decree of the Presidium of Supreme Council of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic dated August 14, 1947, Ilskaya stanitsa was transformed into the workers’ settlement.